How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27064
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im from berrien county michigan, almost 30 yrs old with no

Customer Question

im from berrien county michigan, almost 30 yrs old with no prior arrest. i have never been to jail or in the the system for anything but traffic violations. i was arrested last night for the first time and i made the mistake of pleading guilty to my charge due to ignorence of system. i thought i had to have a jury trial and if by chance i was convicted that i had to serve the max sentence. i went in front of the judge for arrainment by myself and was not familiar with the process and i assumed that i would get at least a court appointed attorney to help me the process, so my question is how easy would it be to change my plea if i hire my own attorny. or if its even possible to change a guilty plea to non guilty..
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

All criminal defendants are supposed to plead not guilty at their arraingment. That's because they are all innocent until proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. A plea of not guilty is the only one that keeps your rights open and allows you to get some time to get advised so that you can make an intelligent decision. Any other plea other than not guilty closes doors to you and strips you of your rights.

What were you arrested for? What did the judge say to you once you told him you were guilty. What will he be sentencing you to? Did he say?

You don't want to speak to the prosecutor because you have said far too much already, but it may not be too late for you to get a lawyer to appear with you on the next date and ask for your plea to be taken back because she had never had the benefit of counsel and could not make an informed decision.

Related Criminal Law Questions