How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having trouble with my two sons and alcohol. I grew up

This answer was rated:

I am having trouble with my two son's and alcohol. I grew up being able to have a beer or a glass of bubbly with a nice dinner. My parents thought it would take the taboo out of it. I thought that it worked for me it would work for my kids too. My oldest turned 18 in August , and my youngest just turned 17. They are a senior and junior in high school. They built a big fire pit in the back yard and more and more friends started showing up on the weekends to Sit around and eat pizza and drink sodas to the wee hours of the morning. They got into a bottle of Jack on my sons Birthday. I found out late that night so I took everyone's keys and made them all spend the night. Well now they think it's ok to drink. One of the boy's uncle bought them 2 -36 can cases of beer last weekend. They had been to a dance earlier that evening and all showed up for a bonfire. I explained to them that I was responsable for everything they did after that , what I'm asking you is what exactly are the laws and my responsabilites if they drink at my house even if the sleek it like last time.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are you talking about calling the police on your own kids or the friends or both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure . I don't want to call the police at all. I guess I really want to know what to say to them so they get how serious the consequences are
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure . I don't want to call the police at all. I guess I really want to know what to say to them so they get how serious the consequences are. I'm like a single mom . My husband sat at home for 10 mo. Looking for jobs and then learned how to drive a big rig and is only home 1 weekend a month. The boy's have no fear of me so they pretty much do as they please. It doesn't help that I'm gone from the home up to 14 hours a day.

Dear Sally - You are not responsible for the 18 year old but you can be responsible for the 17 year old. You do not have to allow the friends into the house however it would appear things are out of control. In order to protect yourself you can contact the police and explain the problem that you do not condone the drinking but cannot control a bunch of boys at your home. If they get charged with a crime then that's not your problem. You can file trespassing charges against the friends if you tell them to leave and they refuse to do so and you can evict your 18 year old from the house since he is an adult and has no rights to be there without permission.

Those are your rights but whether you want to go to those extremes is up to you. I am assuming the parents of the friends are not responsible enough to control their children but you can also contact them and report what's going on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the info and advice. You are right things are getting out of control. I can't believe my son is the only one of his friends that has a curfew? But would you please also tell me what the law says if one of those kids leave my house drunk and God forbid have an accident and kill themselves or someone else.
You could be sued for negligence for permitting a minor to consume alcohol in your home. You certainly can contact the police if crimes are being committed in your home and it is a crime for minors to consume alcohol. You can also, in some communities, be charged with a crime for permitted underage drinking in your home. You would have to check with your local town to see what ordinances are in effect.
Dave Kennett and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you