Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was traveling through the oakland airport and TSA found a

Customer Question
small black bag in my...
I was traveling through the oakland airport and TSA found a small black bag in my belongings that contained two pipes. They are not mine. How they got in my possession is that a person that works for me on occasion was traveling to the airport and had his luggage in my trunk I have no trunk light so he thought he was putting them in his bag and instead put them in mine. He will sign a affidavit stating that they are his not, mine. Regardless I was detained and given a mistameaner traffic ticket for possession of drug parfinalia. I was given a date to appear in court but when I contacted the court they have not filed yet and can take a year to do so. I am concerned I have never been arrested or in any trouble and now I am hearing they can add charges like possession. I don't live in Oakland making it hard for me to find appropriate counsel, I know nothing about this area of Law and would like your advice?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Hire a criminal attorney who is local to the Oakland area who can file an appearance on your behalf and represent you in court.

You have a right to plead not guilty and to demand a trial. If the prosecutor doesn't want to dismiss the charges then you have to be prepared to go to jury trial and seek an acquittal that way.

It will require multiple trips back to the Oakland area.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer