Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Someone stored 2 motorcycles in my garage for 7.5 years, I

Customer Question
lost touch with the person...
Someone stored 2 motorcycles in my garage for 7.5 years, I lost touch with the person years ago. I finally tried to sell them last fall to make some space in my garage and the vehicle id's came back that they were stolen on Florida in 2002. I am facing a 4th degree felony charge for receiving stolen property. Is the statute of limitations up or do I face a fine/jail etc... I reside in Ohio
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
The statute (see link below) makes it a crime to "receive, retain, or dispose of property of another knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that the property has been obtained through commission of a theft offense."

Although you "received" it 7.5 years ago, you "retained" and "disposed" of it recently well within the statute of limitations. The harder part for the state will be to prove that you knew or should have known that the property was stolen.

A fourth degree felony carries 6 to 18 months and/or up to a $5,000 fine. In reality, if you have no criminal record you will likely be offered probation.
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer