Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

I have begun a job with SmartITechPlus company where by they

I have begun a job with SmartITechPlus company where by they deposit large sums of money into my checking account and I'm instructed to withdraw the large amounts and purchase Western Union money grams to be sent globally. I receive a commission and a monthly salary which is reported through a 1099 for my personal tax records. Is this an illegal activity?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
This is either a scam or a money laundering operation. Do not take this job. I suspect the deposits to your account will bounce after you purchase the money grams. Do not maintain contact with this organization. They are trying to steal from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The deposits were valid and cash was received and verified by my bank.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
The bank may have received the deposits but do not withdraw any proceeds until you have confirmation from the bank of receipt of the actual funds, not availability, but actual receipt. I still believe you are being scammed. This is a very common type of con game which takes advantage of the banking rules which force banks to make deposits available before the funds are actually received.