Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have been being harassed by a neighbor and I am wondering

I have been being harassed by a neighbor and I am wondering what my rights are. I live in an apartment complex and I have two small dogs <20 lbs who go on walks about 4x's per day. I usually pick up after them when they potty, but sometimes I don't. This neighbor has caught me not picking up the poo once, and shortly after, chased me down with a bag of poo. Ever since, whenever he sees me leave my apartment w/ my dogs, he follows me around giving me speeches. Sometimes he just sits on his porch watching me. One time he was in his car about to leave, but saw me outside, so he followed me around in his car, driving really slow behind me. Often times, I come home and there is poo on my doorstep when it was not from my dogs. I was out of town for three days with my dogs, came home and there was poo waiting for me. This man seems to be unaware and/or unconcerned that there are other people with pets living in the complex other than me. We also have a ton of wildlife, such as ducks, peacocks, and various birds that roam around, yet he is not concerned for their poo. He has told me that I am legally obligated to clean up my dogs mess. Yet, he is also legally obligated not to stalk and harass me. It makes me want to take a giant shit myself and leave it on his doorstep. This has been going on for 3-4 months now and it's getting old. What can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

Samuel-II : Hi
Samuel-II : I suggest you can file a police report and then request a protective order to keep him from coming near you.
Samuel-II : You may be directed by the police to go to the District Court Commissioner and file a Statement of Charges. If that is the case, then you will need to write this man a letter telling him that he must immediately stop harassing you. That his behavior is, under Flordia law criminal harassment/stalking. I suggest you can state that if he continues, you will have no other choice but to file for a resttaining order.
Samuel-II : That letter will need to be mailed certified with a return receipt requested because you will need to show this to the Court Commissioner as part of your Statement of Charges
Samuel-II : If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you
Customer:

Yeah I am just afraid of what will be next. I have no idea if this man is dangerous or anything. I don't know what he is capable of. I do not know his name, so I do not know how I will file a restraining order.

Customer:

So if I don't know his name, how will I do this?

Samuel-II : Right
Samuel-II : Ask around. Find out who he is
Samuel-II : Or when you call the police, tell them you don't know his name.
Samuel-II : Ask them to talk to him and tell him of your concerns give him a Warning.
Customer:

so this is definitely justifiable as harassment?

Samuel-II : Yes, indeed
Samuel-II : Harassment is a continuing course of conduct, with no just cause, that annoys or harasses after
Samuel-II : the person has been given Notice to stop the behavior and they continue
Customer:

I have never given him official notice, just told him to leave me alone and what he was doing is creepy... I also called him a shit nazi and told him to mind his own business. So I will need to send him a letter that documents asking him to stop then?

Samuel-II : Yes. And you do not ever have to mention anything you have said to him.