Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got a urination in public ticket in Hermosa Beach, CA. California

Customer Question
I got a urination in...
I got a urination in public ticket in Hermosa Beach, CA. California Penal Code 372 (Public Nuisance). They marked it as a traffic violation and a misdemeanor. The event occurred at 2:06 AM on January 22, 2012. It occurred in a dark area not in the presence of others behind the bars in a very dark parking lot. I have never been charged with anything and the only involvement I have ever had with the police is for a couple speeding tickets. I was wondering how this is going to go down when I appear in court. I am a recent college graduate and am a very responsible individual and I don't want anything like this to affect me going forward. I was wondering if this would get reduced to an infraction with a fine? The fear for me is the outrageous fine I will be left with and even worse would be having to register as a sex offender which I am absolutely not. Even though it was not labeled on the ticket as "indecent exposure" I still worry about that. If you could please give me some help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/1/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

As it was charged, you don't have to worry about sex offender issues. Since you do not have a criminal record you stand a good chance at getting it reduced to an infraction. The officer actually did you a favor by not charging something more serious. Even if you are convicted of the Public Nuisance charge, it won't seriously affect you. That's not something educational institutions and all but the most perfectionist employers would care about.

Still, hire a lawyer so you get the best result you can. It is even possible that with community service you can get this dismissed as a conditional plea with the prosecutor with the right person negotiating for you.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.

Thanks!
Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer