Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

if my husband has a no contact order in place not to talk to…

Customer Question
if my husband has a...
if my husband has a no contact order in place not to talk to me and we talk anyways can I get into trouble for that? if so, what kind of penalty is for this? I have never been in trouble before and worried that I could be
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/29/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, you can get into trouble if you talk to your husband when there's a no contact order - you can actually go to jail, because violation of a no contact order is a crime. That means that, if he calls you, you should not answer. If you don't recognize the number, when you realize it's him, put the phone down. He won't go to jail for calling you, but you can go to jail for talking to him, even if he is the one who initiates contact (I realize that seems ridiculous). You can't even contact him through an intermediary.

If he wants to be able to talk to you, then he should go to the court and ask to have the order removed.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
what should I do if I have already had contact but did not realize that I could be penalized?
Nothing. The most important thing at this point is not to contact him any more. You can't undo what's been done, but there's no need to draw attention to it.