Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

if some one gets drunk in englewood colorado and is stupid…

Customer Question
if some one gets drunk...
if some one gets drunk in englewood colorado and is stupid enofe to try to burn somthing in a bath tub no one is hurt but some smoke damage maybe 150 to500 dolars in damage and it is a town house no one there but them .police come not related to the fire but related to a phone call from a girl friends employer that heard the girll friend arguing on the phone with this person and the police discoverd the stuff in the bath tub 7 purses but no one is home at that time. the police want to speak with this person who isint shure what he was doing should he speak to the police or go visit his grand mother in another state witch he has had tickets for over a week and have his attonery talk to them or just ignore it sence they havent charged him with anything but threatend to get a warrent if he dosent talk to them .be cause he dont even remember what happened for shure.what will the charges be or could they be.what sentenc could they carry
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/26/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
I am sorry to say, if you burned your girlfriend's purses this is going to fall under the Domestic Violence law and it can come under the Arson law (felony punishable up to 5 years in prison) or criminal damage to property (which is a misdemeanor if the value was less than $1000, which carries a sentence of up to 1 year in jail and a felony for over $1000 carrying a sentence of 2-6 years in prison), it is up to the DA as to which charge to take. The problem is that voluntary intoxication and not remembering what happened is no defense to these charges. The person needs to deal with this issue as ignoring the police will do nothing but cause them to get a warrant and you will have to face the court.

The person needs to get an attorney in CO immediately to speak to the police and negotiate with them on the matter or at the least inform the police that the person will not give a statement as is their constitutional right. Then if the police get a warrant the attorney will arrange for the surrender of the person to the court and bail and will represent them in court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”