Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

As a non-conservator parent of an adult handicapped child,

Customer Question
do I have the right...
As a non-conservator parent of an adult handicapped child, do I have the right to know what his condition is, what his treatment is, and whether there is a Physcians Order for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form exists? Do I have the right to know what is in his Physicians Order for Scope of Treatment (Post)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/26/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

You do not have any rights as your child, though disabled, is an adult. The conservator has what might be considered "parental" rights. The solution here is to petition the court to replace the conservator and ask that you be appointed. Short of that, you have absolutely no right to the information you've described.

Access to "routine medical information" is rather vague. If the conservator won't provide it, you can file a petition to have them held in contempt. Instead, I suggest you use the fact he is not following the order as support to your request that he be replaced as conservator.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.

Thanks!

Your telling me as a father, I have no rights to know my son's condition, treatment or if a POLST form is in place. That is extremely frustrating considering my visits with him sometimes get cancelled because of his condition and I can't find out what's wrong or even what all of his medical problems are. His mother used my own illness and my care for my dying mother as an excuse to remove me as co-conservator. His seizure disorder at age 5 months rendered him mentally incapable of developing. He is 34 yrs old, functions at the level of an 18 month old. I am 57 and on social security disability due to a sleep disorder complicated by seizures. We have similar health issues and that just makes me more concerned for his condition. But noone cares that I don't get to find out how he is because she is a power-hungry person that uses our son to hurt me.
As soon as your child is 18, you have no rights whatsoever. That's why I suggested you replace the conservator. Regardless of your natural status, legally you have absolutely no rights. Your solution is to petition the court to replace the conservator. Once you are conservator, you have the right to know everything about your son's condition and to make decisions for him.