Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I currently work for a police department in MN. 7 years ago,

Customer Question
I dealt with a call...
I currently work for a police department in MN. 7 years ago, I dealt with a call that really screwed me up. I sought help but was denied it by the police chief. Eventually I went off the deep end and arrested my wife while on duty. Eventually, I sought counseling on my own and quickly learned that I had accute PTSD. Eventually, I retained my job. Now, I have back issues and will no longer be working for the police dept. Do I have a case against the city. I was denied any help at the time. This will haunt me forever. No police department will ever hire me again with this on my record. It has damaged ALL my relationships. Even at the church I go to (25 miles from work) people have learned of the incident. I have no pride anymore and do not know where to turn.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/25/2012
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. When will be your last day at the department?

In less that 1 month. There is a whole lot more to the story but I felt I was already long winded.

Thank you, and this is because of your back condition/issues that prevent you from working, right?
Yes
Thank you. The facts that you've described are most unfortunate but, from what you've described, there is no basis to sue the city.

First, to the extent that you suffered an on-the-job remedy, your sole recourse was to file a workers compensation claim and to do it in a timely fashion. It's not to sue.

Second, even if you filed a claim and it was improperly denied, any statute of limitations to sue over that issue has passed long ago.

Third, you did received counseling and were able to retain your job, thus, there are no legal damages to pursue as a result of that 7-year-old incident.

Fourth, your future re-employment limitations in law enforcement will be based upon your back condition -- not PTSD.

So, what do you do from here? I hope that you are still in counseling. If you are not, I hope that you connect with a good counselor. A lot of advances have been made in effectively handling PTSD, unfortunately in thanks to all that the medical professionals have learned while treating the influx of returning soldiers from our wars. Do not think that there is no hope. There is. There is lots of hope and you are in the best position to benefit from the advances learned from others.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.

So even though this will haunt me forever and every future employer will learn of this information, there is still nothing I can do. I understand the statute of limitations as far as when this took place but the fact is, this has really just begun when it comes to any future employment.

What you can do is work with counselors and career coaches now to work to overcome it.

I can only supply legal information. And, in terms of legal information there is no basis to sue or to prevent that past information from being learned.

You can, however, take control of today and tomorrow and demonstrate how you've overcome it.

Relist: Answer quality.
I was not satisfied with my answer as she only wanted to focus on the workcomp portion which I already knew. This site is a joke.
Thank you for the follow-up.

Please clarify then, if you know that workers compensation is the exclusive remedy and that any statute of limitations has long ago passed, and that the reason that you are not employable in law enforcement is because of an independent issue involving your back, then what information are you seeking from JustAnswer?
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer