Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a public school teacher, getting married in two weeks.

Customer Question
I am finishing up pre-marital...
I am a public school teacher, getting married in two weeks. I am finishing up pre-marital counseling with my pastor prior. This is a really big wedding with all the trimmings. Two weeks after that I am going on my honeymoon and airline tickets are already bought. I am being served a subpeona by county DA to testify regarding a former student- clear across the state. If this conflicts with wedding and honeymoon plans that have been made for months- what are my rights?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/25/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer

A subpoena is a court order and, as such, should not be ignored. Instead, you might consider retaining an attorney to help you out in this situation.

An attorney could contact the attorney that had the subpoena issued. They could discuss the subpoena, the court date and whether you truly need to attend. If the attorney will release you from the subpoena, then you will be in good shape. If not, the attorney could then file a motion to quash the subpoena. Considering your plans and when they were made, I would suggest that you have a good chance of prevailing.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.