Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Where in the attached criminal law section of Illinois addresses…

Customer Question
Where in the attached criminal...
Where in the attached criminal law section of Illinois addresses the criminal act of filing a false document into public records??

ie. A fraudulent Assignment of Mortgage into the Cook county recorder's office.

CRIMINAL OFFENSES
(720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 1961.

View Entire Act

Title I - General Provisions
Article 1 - Title And Construction Of Act State Jurisdiction
Article 2 - General Definitions
Article 3 - Rights Of Defendant
Title II - Principles Of Criminal Liability
Article 4 - Criminal Act And Mental State
Article 5 - Parties to Crime
Article 6 - Responsibility
Article 7 - Justifiable Use of Force; Exoneration
Title III - Specific Offenses
Part A - Inchoate Offenses
Article 8 - Solicitation, Conspiracy and Attempt
Part B - Offenses Directed Against the Person
Article 9 - Homicide
Article 10 - Kidnaping and Related Offenses
Article 10A - Trafficking of Persons and Involuntary Servitude (Repealed)
Article 11 - Sex Offenses
Subdivision 1 - General Definitions
Subdivision 5 - Major Sex Offenses
Subdivision 10 - Vulnerable Victim Offenses
Subdivision 15 - Prostitution Offenses
Subdivision 20 - Pornography Offenses
Subdivision 25 - Other Offenses
Article 12 - Bodily Harm
Subdivision 1 - Definitions
Subdivision 5 - Assault and Battery
Subdivision 10 - Endangerment
Subdivision 15 - Intimidation
Subdivision 20 - Mutilation
Subdivision 25 - Other Harm Offenses
Article 12A - Violent Video Games
Article 12B - Sexually Explicit Video Games
Article 14 - Eavesdropping
Part C - Offenses Directed Against Property
Article 15 - Definitions
Article 16 - Theft and Related Offenses
Subdivision 1 - Definitions
Subdivision 5 - General Theft
Subdivision 10 - Retail Theft
Subdivision 15 - Identity Theft
Subdivision 20 - Miscellaneous Theft-related Offenses
Article 16A - Retail Theft (Repealed)
Article 16B - Protection of Library Materials (Repealed)
Article 16C - Unlawful Sale of Household Appliances
Article 16D - Computer Crime
Article 16E - Delivery Container Crime (Repealed)
Article 16F - Wireless Service Theft (Repealed)
Article 16G - Financial Identity Theft and Asset Forfeiture Law (Repealed)
Article 16H - Illinois Financial Crime Law (Repealed)
Article 16J - Online Property Offenses (Repealed)
Article 16K - Theft of Motor Fuel (Repealed)
Article 17 - Deception
Subdivision 1 - General Definitions
Subdivision 5 - Deception
Subdivision 10 - Fraud on a Governmental Entity
Subdivision 15 - Fraud on a Private Entity
Subdivision 20 - Fraudulent Tampering
Subdivision 25 - Credit and Debit Card Fraud
Subdivision 30 - Computer Fraud
Subdivision 35 - Miscellaneous Special Fraud
Article 17a - Disqualification For State Benefits (Repealed)
Article 17b - WIC Fraud
Article 18 - Robbery
Article 19 - Burglary
Article 20 - Arson
Article 20.5 - Causing a Catastrophe; Deadly Substances
Article 21 - Damage And Trespass To Property
Article 21.1 - Residential Picketing
Article 21.2 - Interference With A Public Institution Of Education
Article 21.3 - Solicitation On School Property
Part D - Offenses Affecting Public Health, Safety and Decency
Article 24 - Deadly Weapons
Article 24.5 - Nitrous Oxide
Article 24.6 - Laser And Laser Pointers
Article 25 - Mob Action And Related Offenses
Article 26 - Disorderly Conduct
Article 28 - Gambling And Related Offenses
Article 29 - Bribery In Contests
Article 29A - Commercial Bribery
Article 29B - Money Laundering
Article 29C - International Terrorism (Repealed)
Article 29D - Terrorism
Part E - Offenses Affecting Governmental Functions
Article 30 - Treason And Related Offenses
Article 31 - Interference With Public Officers
Article 31A - Interference With Penal Institution
Article 32 - Interference With Judicial Procedure
Article 33 - Official Misconduct
Part F - Certain Aggravated Offenses
Article 33A - Armed Violence
Article 33B - Mandatory Life Sentence; A Third or Subsequent Forcible Offense (Repealed)
Article 33C - Deception Relating to Certification of Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (Repealed)
Article 33D - Contributing to the Criminal Delinquency of a Juvenile
Article 33E - Public Contracts
Article 33F - Unlawful Use of Body Armor
Title IV - Construction, Effective Date and Repeal
Article 34 - Construction And Effective Date
Title V - Added Articles
Article 36 - Seizure And Forfeiture Of Vessels, Vehicles And Aircraft
Article 36.5 - Vehicle Impoundment
Article 37 - Property Forfeiture
Article 37.5 - Animal Fighting Forfeiture
Article 38 - Criminally Operated Businesses
Article 39 - Criminal Usury (Repealed)
Article 42 - Looting
Article 44 - Telecommunications Devices
Article 45 - Disclosing Location Of Domestic Violence Victim (Repealed)
Article 46 - Insurance Fraud, Fraud On The Government, And Related Offenses (Repealed)
Article 47 - Nuisance
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/24/2012
Criminal Lawyer: mkc1959, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 6 years ago
mkc1959
mkc1959, Criminal Defense Lawyer

mkc1959 : Re: Illinois Mechanics Lien Forms And InstructionsPenalties, In ILLINOIS for filing a fraudulent lien:EdFilling out a mechanics lien form is generally completed by having a notary complete their section at the bottom, which makes the document binding under oath. The consequences of recording a knowingly false document are fairly serious, if the Attorney General can be convinced to pursue the prosecution. There is much to say about that process, but for the moment, I just wanted to put up the sections of the Criminal Code that could apply to false mechanics liens and related documents that are notarized and recorded: Forgery, Perjury, and Unlawful Clouding of Title.Forgery. (720 ILCS 5/17-3)(a) A person commits forgery when, with intent to defraud, he knowingly:(1) makes or alters any document apparently capable of defrauding another in such manner that it purports to have been made by another or at another time, or with different provisions, or by authority of one who did not give such authority; or(2) issues or delivers such document knowing it to have been thus made or altered; or(3) possesses, with intent to issue or deliver, any such document knowing it to have been thus made or altered; or(4) unlawfully uses the digital signature, as defined in the Financial Institutions Digital Signature Act, of another; or(5) unlawfully uses the signature device of another to create an electronic signature of that other person, as those terms are defined in the Electronic Commerce Security Act.(b) An intent to defraud means an intention to cause another to assume, create, transfer, alter or terminate any right, obligation or power with reference to any person or property. As used in this Section, “document” includes, but is not limited to, any document, representation, or image produced manually, electronically, or by computer.(c) A document apparently capable of defrauding another includes, but is not limited to, one by which any right, obligation or power with reference to any person or property may be created, transferred, altered or terminated. A document includes any record or electronic record as those terms are defined in the Electronic Commerce Security Act.(d) Sentence. Forgery is a Class 3 felony.Perjury. (720 ILCS 5/32-2) (a) A person commits perjury when, under oath or affirmation, in a proceeding or in any other matter where by law such oath or affirmation is required, he makes a false statement, material to the issue or point in question, which he does not believe to be true.(b) Proof of Falsity. An indictment or information for perjury alleging that the offender, under oath, has made contradictory statements, material to the issue or point in question, in the same or in different proceedings, where such oath or affirmation is required, need not specify which statement is false. At the trial, the prosecution need not establish which statement is false.(c) Admission of Falsity. Where the contradictory statements are made in the same continuous trial, an admission by the offender in that same continuous trial of the falsity of a contradictory statement shall bar prosecution therefor under any provisions of this Code.(d) A person shall be exempt from prosecution under subsection (a) of this Section if he is a peace officer who uses a false or fictitious name in the enforcement of the criminal laws, and such use is approved in writing as provided in Section 10-1 of “The Liquor Control Act of 1934″, as amended, Section 5 of “An Act in relation to the use of an assumed name in the conduct or transaction of business in this State”, approved July 17, 1941, as amended, or Section 2605-200 of the Department of State Police Law (20 ILCS 2605/2605-200). However, this exemption shall not apply to testimony in judicial proceedings where the identity of the peace officer is material to the issue, and he is ordered by the court to disclose his identity.(e) Sentence. Perjury is a Class 3 felony.Unlawful clouding of title. (720 ILCS 5/32-13) (a) Any person who intentionally records or files or causes to be recorded or filed any document in the office of the recorder or registrar of titles of any county of this State that is a cloud on the title of land in this State, knowing that the theory upon which the purported cloud on title is based is not recognized as a legitimate legal theory by the courts of this State or of the United States, commits the offense of unlawful clouding of title.(b) Unlawful clouding of title is a Class A misdemeanor.(c) In addition to any other sentence that may be imposed, the court shall order any person convicted of a violation of this Section, or placed on supervision for a violation of this Section, to execute a release of the purported cloud on title as may be requested by or on behalf of any person whose property is encumbered or potentially encumbered by the document filed. Irrespective of whether or not a person charged under this Section is convicted of the offense of unlawful clouding of title, when the evidence demonstrates that, as a matter of law, the cloud on title is not a type of cloud recognized or authorized by the courts of this State or the United States, the court shall forthwith direct the recorder or registrar of titles to expunge the cloud.(c-5) This Section does not apply to an attorney licensed to practice law in this State who in good faith files a lien on behalf of his or her client and who in good faith believes that the validity of the lien is supported by statutory law, by a decision of a court of law, or by a good faith argument for an extension, modification, or reversal of existing court decisions relating to the validity of the lien.(d) For purposes of this Section, “cloud on title” or “cloud on the title” means an outstanding claim or encumbrance that, if valid, would affect or impair the title of the owner of an estate in land and on its face has that effect, but can be shown by extrinsic proof to be invalid or inapplicable to that estate. Sentence of Imprisonment for Felony. (730 ILCS 5/5-8-1) (excerpt)(a) Except as otherwise provided in the statute defining the offense, a sentence of imprisonment for a felony shall be a determinate sentence set by the court under this Section, according to the following limitations:(6) for a Class 3 felony, the sentence shall be not less than 2 years and not more than 5 years…Sentence of Imprisonment for Misdemeanor. (730 ILCS 5/5-8-3) (excerpt)(a) A sentence of imprisonment for a misdemeanor shall be for a determinate term according to the following limitations:(1) for a Class A misdemeanor, for any term less than one year…
mkc1959 : Is this what you were looking for? If not I will be glad to respond further.
Much closer.

But which is speific to an Illinois Assignment of Mortgage.
From MERS to foreclosing Plaintiff /Trustee to give appearance of standing when in fact they do not.
720 ILCS 5/32-13) (a) Any person who intentionally records or files or causes to be recorded or filed any document in the office of the recorder or registrar of titles of any county of this State that is a cloud on the title of land in this State, knowing that the theory upon which the purported cloud on title is based is not recognized as a legitimate legal theory by the courts of this State or of the United States, commits the offense of unlawful clouding of title.(b) Unlawful clouding of title is a Class A misdemeanor
mkc1959
mkc1959
mkc1959, Criminal Defense Lawyer