Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i was subpena to testify against my daughter, do i have to…

Customer Question
i was subpena to testify...
i was subpena to testify against my daughter, do i have to go this is in the state of tennessee...
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/24/2012
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Yes, you must appear on the subpoena. Yes, you must answer all questions that are asked of you. The only questions you can refuse to answer are those where (1) the judge instructs you to not answer or (2) where your answer would result in you admitting to having committed a crime.

Otherwise, all other questions must be answered.

If you do not appear or if you refuse to testify, you can be jailed and held in contempt of court until you do testify.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.