Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

how do i proceed with sexual slander case in the Catholic Church,

Customer Question
whereby my children and I...
how do i proceed with sexual slander case in the Catholic Church, whereby my children and I are being verbally victimized, with major slanderous remark. Im so hurt and its become a city wide issue. my name is XXXXX XXXXX by their false comments and spreading throughout the Orange County area. This issue is 6 years of abuse and im so disgusted with their arrogant attitude. My Pastor says he is forgiven for all he is said and the damage still remains and continues. I feel like im being slapped in the face with their "I can do anything I want " attitude and God will forgive them for false accusations. They, a few Priests im not naming now, have the new message of arrogance of being forgiven. They have screamed in Confession accusing me of nightmare untrue issues, they have been repeated in womens Bible study, by a woman who told 50 people i molested my children with huge story which is not true, right in front of me. It is blatant slander and my name is XXXXX XXXXX questioned.. I reported 3 separate times to the Police and made a formal report against them for saying otrageous issues. Repeating a Priest from a convention and slandering my name publicly is affecting my life , my health, my sleep and my childrens reputations.. How do I stop them.. it outrageous to deal with this issue every day. S.W.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/22/2012
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'mCustomerand I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

When one party makes false statements about another, the party may incur liability for defamation. Slander is spoken defamation while libel is written defamation. Further, anyone who negligently repeats defamatory statements may also incur such liability. A successful defamation plaintiff must typically show that:
1. The defendant made a statement of fact to a third party regarding the plaintiff;
2. The statement was not true;
3. The statement harmed the plaintiff.
Falsely accusing someone of criminal conduct or deviant sexual conduct can serve as a basis for such a lawsuit. Further, while a church may promote a theme of forgiveness, the reality of the law is that the law does not promote such a theme and people are accountable under the law for the things they say about others.
Further, in some situations, there may be bases for other claims. False statements of fact about an individual generally lead to liability for defamation when damages result. However, your attorney may find that there is a basis for other claims as well, such as intentional infliction of emotional distress, depending on the other details of the interactions and the effect of those interactions on you. Clergy members have a great deal of influence over people and its conceivable that emotionally abusing a parishioner could provide a basis for other such claims as well.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!

I received your request question asking about finding another attorney. You apparently posted that question while I was responding to this one. I wasn't sure whether or not you were intending to ask it as a separate question. However, I marked it as a duplicate in case you were not intending to do so. If you did intend to do so and if you wanted to pay additionally for that information, you're welcome to click accept twice or leave a bonus and I would certainly be grateful.
Below, I have answered your second question, in which you requested me, as well.

While it's not possible for me to provide direct referrals in this forum, I can provide you with some great resources that you can use to locate an attorney. It's important to remember that each attorney sets his/her own prices and each attorney decides which clients to accept and which clients not to accept, meaning that an individual may have to look around a little bit to locate an attorney.

Lawyers.com and Martindale are great resources. Both of these sites permit you to search for an attorney based on the attorney's field(s) of practice and geographic region. Further, the sites often provide additional information, including links to participating attorneys' websites and, in some cases, reviews of the attorneys. This information can help you to evaluate your potential selections.

Local Legal Clinics are often available for individuals who cannot afford to retain counsel on their own. These clinics provide free/discount services to those in need.

Local Lawyer Referral Services are also helpful, as they can direct you to attorneys in your region based on practice area.

It's also possible to inquire with the state bar about an attorney's disciplinary record to determine whether an attorney has been disciplined for unethical behavior in the past. That can be very helpful in evaluating an attorney.

Links:
Lawyers.com: http://www.Lawyers.com
Martindale: http://www.Martindale.com
Local Legal Clinics: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory.html
Local Lawyer Referral Services: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory