Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i think i have the right area, away I am a nurse, and am ex…

Customer Question
i think i have the...
i think i have the right area, away I am a nurse, and am ex military attended top schools, was an officer, and work federal prisons, and certified high risk ob labor/delivery. I hadan adopted child that was/is mentally ill, she was to attend after school tudoring, i went to go pick her up, she wasn't there told she took bus home, well i get home to a cop, who was rude and asked did i know where my kids are.. i replied" no mother fuc..er I know where they should be..:"don
t recommend someone to do this, I was arrested charged with felony child neglect. I never been arressted so when approched by someone to sign this paper andI would be released I did, well i signed I was guilty an accepted probabtion, judge yelled at me, he said there was no case but because i signed he had no choice but to inforce, well now I can't get a job, no one will look past the arrest, no one asks what happened what do i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/19/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Did you have an attorney representing you who did not explain the guilty plea form to you?
no,no attorney, I was just approached and I assumed it was public defender but, no one explained anything to me, but I am a hot headed jersey redhead and boy it has cost me my livelyhood and I lost that child to the state they never even took my other kids in fact my oldest is a special ed teacher and model for hooters and son is a firefighter and emt, and a eagle scout....hmmmm i must be neglectful huh? anyway no sense in crying over spilt milk, i will tell you the out come if you want to know later, but no attorney and I finally hired one after the judge said what he said, and he said if I do the probabtion then a nola contente would be entered and adjudicated not guilty, so I did, but it is not on my record as such, i called attorney and he says it is an it will always be that way, ugh!! i am so upset, no one wants me as a nurse, and I have an impecable record! til this
You need to file a motion to vacate the plea based on your lack of effective assistance of counsel. Your counsel is supposed to explain all documents and pleas to you and if they did not explain them to you then this is grounds to argue ineffective assistance of counsel and to have the plea vacated. You will need a new attorney to get the plea vacated and it is the first step you need to take here (since nobody will ever hire a nurse with a neglect conviction). They can also review the conduct of your previous attorney for a potential malpractice case against that first attorney who improperly advised you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

ok well here is the problem the attorney i hired is also the old prosecuter and public defender and went into private practice at the time, and sent a colleque to my hearing..do i still pursue?
Yes, you should still pursue if you want to get out from under this matter, it does not matter who he is, the attorney who represented you should not have let you sign any deal without explaining everything to you clearly, it was negligent on the attorney's part.
thanks I just didn't know where to start, but I need to know do I hire an attorney in florida or where i live (new york city)? and what kind? my father and brother are attorneys and dad is retired from a big firm in new jersey and brother has own firm in new jersey but they do corporate and real estate law so they dint know either. but the state pinned me as a horrible mother to her and what a poor child.. I adopted her from two locked up mentally ill people from greystone psch center but no one wanted me too, and state thouht i was lying, but case worker an husband adopted her.. and she went thru 9 fostrhoes n two months And now they case worker called and apoligized and has since put her in a home for girls....hmmmmm
You need to hire an attorney where this case occurred and that is where everything would have to take place. A statement from the case worker would help you vacate the plea as well.