Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was arrested for 3rd DWI which Im out on bond for. The other…

Customer Question
I was arrested for 3rd...
I was arrested for 3rd DWI which I'm out on bond for. The other night I was arrested for property damage and bonded out again. the State is handling the DWI case and a smaller court has the property damage case. I'm set to get a favorable plea in two weeks in the DWI case. The damage occurred at a private party at a restaurant and was filed by a manager not the owner. The owner wants to drop the case.
My questions are these.
1. The restaurant owner said he would drop the charges if I paid for the damage which I did. he is a well known business owner in a small town, can he drop the charges like he said? Is it possible to have this swept under the rug?
2. Will the state get wind of this if he cannot drop the charges?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/18/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
1) Yes, the owner can indeed drop the charges against you and the case would be listed as dismissed if he refuses to prosecute. Since he is the owner he has a right to refuse to prosecute and the charges would be dropped.

2) If the charges are not dismissed, the record will be in the computer and the prosecutor will find it when they check your criminal history, which they are supposed to do before completing your plea deal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

My court date for the DWI is on the 2nd of march and has been continued for over a year. The court date for the property damage is on the twelfth.
1.If I go to court on the 2nd will they see the arrest?
2.If I paid a bond will I have to go to court?
3.Can this whole thing "disappear" the way I was lead to believe and if so can it be done with a phone call? Or will this have to take place in a court setting?

I was charged and have a court date and case number XXXXX well as a bond.
This guy "the owner" is well connected and respected, in a town where everyone knows each other.
1) Yes the arrest will appear on your record IF the prosecutor bothers to print it out (many times they will not).

2) If the owner dismisses or refuses to prosecute you would not have to go to court and the bond will get returned to you.

3) If it is dismissed, then you can file a motion to expunge and it will disappear.
Thank you.
If I was to get this expunged, could it be done quickly (before the 2nd of march)

What actions should I take to ensure this is handled properly?

Should I call the City hall myself for the bond, how long would something like this take for the dismissal?

Can this be done with a phone call or would he have to fill something out?
I am afraid the court typically does not move that fast, but it is possible. However, if no conviction is shown on the charge, the prosecutor will not use it against you. If you get a dismissal you would get the paperwork from the clerk of court or the prosecutor's office showing they dismissed the case and you can show it to the prosecutor on your DWI case if they ask.

The owner needs to write a letter to the DA and they will make him go in person to the prosecutor's office to sign an affidavit of non-prosecution in some cases to verify he is the one who does not want to prosecute and it is not someone merely impersonating the owner.