How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My name isXXXXX currently live in Louisiana and

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX currently live in Louisiana and have all my life with the exception of June 2002 to April 2007, for this period of time I lived in San Antonio Tx because I was enlisted in the Air Force. During this time my financial practices were despicable, I also had a baby in 2003 which made things harder. As I got deeper in debt I made lots of bad choices that I'm still paying for (creditors, payday loans, etc) I was hoping to purchase a new vehicle this year and checked my credit report to see what progress I had made to it and noticed an item for Check Services for $38. So I called the number listed to find out what it was and take care of it. I was directed to the Bexar County DA check section where I was told that I actually owed $699.53 and had an outstanding warrant. After freaking out I asked what I could do, and the lady (not the DA) told me I could send in the money and once the fees were paid in full I could call back and request the warrant be dismissed. She said she couldn't give me any information as to what the fees were for because of the outstanding warrant, which I didn't quite understand. She told me who to make the money order or cashier's check out to and gave me the address to the restitution office (all legit). I have no problem paying back what I owe, if it's $699 then that's my burden to bear, but is it really as simple as sending in the money and asking for a dismissal? Why wouldn't she be able to provide me with any information as to the reason behind the fees? The check was written in 2005. I finally realized I could not continue living paycheck to paycheck and moved back home. My mother reiterated the importance of strict financial planning, and these days I hardly write checks and I keep a much more balanced register. I've paid off some of the debts I owed from way back when, others were written off however when I called to take care of this one it threw me a heck of a curve ball.... Right now I am waiting for my tax money to come in so I can pay this fine and hopefully get this situation taken care of....would this be the right direction to head in?
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Yes, it can be simple as paying the check and related fees. Their main goal is to have the check made whole. They have no intention of going to Louisiana, arresting you, and brining you back to Texas.

So, yes, you should plan to use your tax refund to get this matter paid off and put behind you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if I pay the balance I was quoted in full, then I should be clear? No arrest or warrants? As far as asking for dismissal of the warrant, how should I handle that? Call or write? What should I say? I know I sound like a nervous schoolgirl, but like I said I'm not a criminal, intentionally anyways, so to have knowledge of an outstanding warrant just doesn't sit well with me and I certainly do not want my son's life to be uprooted over my past mistakes coming back to bite me now....I just want to pay my debt and be done with it and I guess I was just looking for clarification that it was that simple, it almost sounds too easy, aside from the parting with $700, but I consider it a small price considering what could take place. I was advised by a friend to call the DA's office and speak with her personally to see what the debt was specifically for, but I'm afraid of making matters worse somehow, what do you think of this? So far you have assured me that I'm taking the right course of action and for that I thank you and will definitely accept your answer after I recieve your next response.
Once you have paid everything they told you to pay, yes, you will be clear. They will recall the warrant and close out the file.

Once you've made the payment, ask them in writing to lift the warrant. If you don't hear back from them, call them back in 2 weeks to make sure they lifted the warrant. Make sure that you keep a copy of your canceled check for your personal records (so you have proof of payment).

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
JB Umphrey and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions