Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I owed a piece of equipment, it was stolen, then sold on E-bay,

Customer Question
FBI found the equipment. Case...
I owed a piece of equipment, it was stolen, then sold on E-bay, FBI found the equipment. Case has been in court system for over two years. Now judge wants us (original owners) and the buyer from E-Bay to present case as to who should receive physical return of the equipment. Restitution will be paid to one of us. We want the equipment back. What is best way to handle this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Quite honestly there is no "best way" to handle this and it depends what each party wants out of this. You obviously both cannot keep the equipment so you and the buyer in good faith will have to negotiate and be reasonable. YOU need to sit with the other party and present your side of getting the equipment back and not the money. If both of you insist on the equipment, the court can order the equipment sold again and you will both end up with nothing but a monetary settlement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The court is going to decide, how do I get the court to allow me (the original owner) to keep equipment? I paid over 25K for equip. E-bay buyer bought for 17K. Court WILL decide, of course only one can take back physical ownership. The other will get restitution, of only the 17K. What is the best way to defend my case?
The court will give the two of you a chance to negotiate a resolution of the matter before deciding anything. The court prefers that the parties come to an amicable settlement. It is only if you cannot agree that the court will decide. The best way to defend your case is the proof of the original cost to you and the damage it will pose to your business not to have this equipment, since you had the equipment and were using it before it was stolen and the harm you will suffer having to buy new equipment. If you were not insured for this theft, then this is more evidence in your favor for getting the equipment back.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer