Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

my son was accused of throwing eggs two witness will testify

my son was accused of throwing eggs two witness will testify he had nothing to do with it he is sixteen was detained in princpals office read miranda rights had no idea what they actually meant didnt know he could call me officer took statement this happened on new years two days ago cop called said wanted another statement told him no if he had charges against my son to press them am i in the right here
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You are in the right that you should not let your son give any more statements without an attorney. The law says he has a right to have an attorney present, the law does not say he has a right to have a parent present and the police can exclude you from any interview with your son even if he is a minor. You need to hire him an attorney and the next time the police want to talk to him refer the police to the attorney to arrange any further meetings with the police.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”