Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If a person does not report for a 30 day incarceration into

a county jail in Illinois...
If a person does not report for a 30 day incarceration into a county jail in Illinois and is charged with a class A misdemeanor Escape. Is there a statue of limitations on it
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2012
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

No, the statute of limitations only applies to how the state has to charge a person with a crime. Once a person is charged, there is no statute of limitations, and the charge never expires.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case.

Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
In a situation like that do you have any idea on what the extradition on something like that would be? Is there a certain milage or ?

No, there's not a certain mileage or distance that a person could flee to, it just depends on if a person was arrested in another state or country, whether the state would take the time and expense to extradite a person. But, while the state is deciding, the person charged with escape is also sitting in jail somewhere.

And, even if they don't decide to extradite the person (and misdemeanors often aren't worth the state's time), it doesn't get rid of the outstanding charge. So, a person flees to another state to avoid going to jail. They get pulled over, warrants are run, and the escape charge comes up. They sit in jail until illinois decides not to extradite. A week later, the person gets pulled over again, warrants are run, and the person is arrested again, and the process starts all over. I wouldn't want that hanging over my head forever.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer