Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

last night i was arrested and charged with under the influence

Customer Question
of a controlled substance (meth)...
last night i was arrested and charged with under the influence of a controlled substance (meth) and possession of a controlled substance (meth) . my question is about the way the police stopped me . i live in a small rural community and I've been a law abiding citizen for the most part give or take a few minor traffic tickets anyway last night i was walking to the store about 7:00 pm and half way there the police pulled up and stop me the officer asked who i was and i told him and asked if he would like to see my I D ,he said yes i gave it to him and the other officer asked if he could search me , I stated that i was not on parole or probation and therefore i did not think that there was any reason to be searched . after I said that he asked me when was the last time I used meth and i told him that it has been awhile then he said my pupils looked big and grabbed my arm and took my pulse . all of that shouldn't matter because they didn't have any reason for stopping me right
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2012
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

Unfortunately, it's not a yes or no answer because it depends on the totality of the circumstances. A stop is justified if a person is exhibiting any combination of the following behaviors:

1. Appears not to fit the time or place.
  2. Matches the description on a "Wanted" flyer.
  3. Acts strangely, or is emotional, angry, fearful, or intoxicated.
  4. Loitering, or looking for something.
  5. Running away or engaging in furtive movements.
  6. Present in a crime scene area.
  7. Present in a high-crime area (not sufficient by itself or with loitering).

Assuming a stop is lawful, police can then frisk you to check for concealed weapons in certain circumstances; if for example, the officer is concerned about his safety or the safety of others. If anything else is found during the frisk, like drugs, those can be lawfully seized.

Now, if you were just walking home, not exhibiting out of place behaviors, acting suspiciously, or doing anything that was suspect, then the officer didn't have right to stop you. You could fight the arrest on grounds of an unlawful stop. Proving it may be the most difficult part because unless there were witnesses or a video camera recording, it could come down to a case of your word versus their word , and then it would be up to a judge to decide if the stop was lawful.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case.

Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

so does that mean if plead not guilty by reason of unlawful stop and i have a witness maybe two witnesses because the police also had a person in there vehicle who was just arrested for a warrant told me at the jail in booking that he didn't understand why i was being stopped but he did hear the police say lets check this guy out. would that possibly prove an unlawful stop
You can plead not guilty and then have an attorney argue to dismiss the charge on the basis of an unlawful stop. Does having witnesses guarantee that the case would be dismissed? No, it depends on what they saw, and what they can testify to, and what the arresting officers testify to, and ultimately, what the court believes -but having witnesses who can state that you weren't intoxicated, weren't acting suspiciously, and were doing nothing other than walking certainly gives you an opportunity to challenge the matter.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
at the jail they did a urine test and it came back positive for meth when you say intoxicated you mean alcohol right
RobertJDFL, Lawyer