How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13671
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are the penalties for indecent exposure (found having

This answer was rated:

what are the penalties for indecent exposure (found having oral sex with male in car in forrest preserve in Illinois)? Is it necessary to have a lawyer at the court hearing?

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.


Here is the statute:


720 ILCS 5/11-9)
Sec. 11-9. Public Indecency.

(a) Any person of the age of 17 years and upwards who performs any of the following acts in a public place commits a public indecency:

    (1) An act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct as defined in Section 12-12 of this Code; or

    (2) A lewd exposure of the body done with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of the person.
    Breast-feeding of infants is not an act of public indecency.

(b) "Public place" for purposes of this Section means any place where the conduct may reasonably be expected to be viewed by others.


(c) Sentence. Public indecency is a Class A misdemeanor. A person convicted of a third or subsequent violation for public indecency is guilty of a Class 4 felony.


A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail and/or up to a $2,500 fine. It is also considered a sex offense in Illinois, meaning a conviction could land a person on a sex offender registry.


Given that it is punishable by jail time (even though that's unlikely for a first offense), and given the nature of the crime, I would suggest a person accused hire a lawyer, yes.



JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case.


Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything I can do to keep this from becoming public?
Unfortunately, no. Court hearings and documents are all public record unless a judge seals them (which they normally only do for very high profile cases, if that). That said, a person would physically have to search for the information too, to know that it's out there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I go about finding an attorney?

You can call the Illinois State Bar Association Lawyer Referral Program at 1-877-381-0815; they can put you in touch with a lawyer in your area. Some more information on that can be found here.


Also, you might check a site like, which has lawyer reviews and ratings, or you can also check


You're looking for a criminal defense lawyer.

RobertJDFL and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you