How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Merchant seaman and I need to know if there some law

Customer Question

I am a Merchant seaman and I need to know if there some law protection for a merchant marine seamen for not filing and paying state taxes? Is there protection from being charged criminally?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
There is no such protection.
If you are a resident of a state, that state can impose its tax law on you. For example, many states impose tax on military members, regardless of if they are stationed in the state or not.
So the state can tax a merchant marine if they so choose.
Sorry to have to bear bad news.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The previous expert was correct in that there is no state tax exemption for the merchant marine. Their pay is taxed in the state in which they reside.