AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

can I file phone harassment charges on someone who lives in

can I file phone harassment charges on someone who lives in a different state.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

Yes. If an individual calls into another state to harass a person within that state, that would generally fall under that state's jurisdiction as well as the jurisdiction of the state from which the person is making the call.

Further, interstate communications fall under federal jurisdiction and an individual can potentially be charged under federal statutes (such as 47 USC 223, depending on the circumstances).

47 USC 223
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/223.html

Just let me know if you need any clarification!

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would it be considered a family matter if the woman making the phone calls was having an affair with my husband up until this past July when she decided to tell me about it. She is now making numorous phone calls and text messages because my husband and I are trying to work it out and she was very upset by the fact he did not leave me.
Yes. Stalking (what you described) could qualify as a domestic violence related issue and your husband may qualify for a domestic relations restraining order.
You can read about these orders in Michigan at the link below.
http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=535&state_code=MI

Restraining orders issued by one state are enforceable in another state.

Please let me know if you need any clarification!