Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was convicted via plea bargan of criminal sexual conduct

I was convicted via plea bargan of criminal sexual conduct third degree in the state of Michigan in June of 1994. I served 15 years and discharged off my sentence with no probation or parole. My conviction took place before megans law was active and to my knowledge, megans law wasn't made retroactive so why must I REGISTER as a sex offender for a crime that did not take place in California?
Because the sex offender registration laws are made retroactive by the courts and they are held to be a health and safety issue and not a punishment which is why the state is allowed to impose them retroactively and it does not matter the case did not happen in CA, the state laws mandate registration of sex offenders no matter what state they move to.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

You absolutely received an answer to your question and were told if you had follow up questions to ask them using the "reply" button. If you have additional questions please ask and we will work to assist you in getting you the information.