How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We lived AZ from Aug 2010 to Aug 2011. We have since moved

Resolved Question:

We lived AZ from Aug 2010 to Aug 2011. We have since moved back to TX. My son who was 18 at the time, had broken up with his girlfriend. He ended up having sex with the girlfriends sister who was 15 at the time. This just came out two days ago. I have heard from a friend of my son who said that the girl told him that it was consensual and it was her suggestion. My son has admitted that he had sex with her but swears he did not rape her. This happened during the summer of 2011 I believe the time frame would have been around late May early June of 2011. My son and the girlfriend did end up getting back together and she moved here to TX with us. Her family just ended up moving to TX and live not to far from us. The girlfriend has now left and moved back with her family and found out that her sister and my son slept together. Now the family is saying that he raped her. Since this happened last year and we are not even in the same state anymore, can they still try to press charges?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

this is the Az statute

1) If the minor is under age 15, five years in prison; (2) if the offender is at least age 18 or is tried as an adult and the minor was age 12 or younger, life in prison and the offender is ineligible for release until serving 35 years; (3) if the offender is at least 18 or tried as an adult and the victim is age 12, 13, or 14, the presumptive sentence is 20 years; or (4) if the minor is at least age 15, it is punishable by one year in prison.

They parents could still file charges. He does not need to admit to anything to anyone since that can be used against him in court. He would have to be charged in AZ so hopefully this will not be pursued. If it is he should make no statements and he will need a good criminal defense attorney.
lwpat and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you