How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Under texas law is there an age limit to seal a juvenile sex

Resolved Question:

Under texas law is there an age limit to seal a juvenile sex offense
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

Samuel-II :


Samuel-II :

Juvenile records may have "restricted access" after age 21, if there have been no other crimes between the age of 17 and 21. As a sex offense, it can be restricted - which means it is not available to the public but only to certain law and court officials.

Customer: hi
Samuel-II :

It also is available to certain employers, such as if you are applying to work with children or similar agencies.

Samuel-II :

Also, if your crime required registration then you will need to Petition the Court for the expungement of the record, but you can only do that once your registration period has expired.

Customer: I have been told by our legal council it can be sealed at age 19 now. Is there a way to expunge this record instead of just sealing it? It was indecency with a child and he completed the 2 years probation and he is not having to register
Samuel-II :

If he wants to have the matter expunged, he can Petition the Juvenile Court, yes.

Samuel-II :

Or you can wait until he is 21 and it is automatically restricted. But if you want to have the matter considered for expungement, then file the Petition with the Court who adjudicated the matter

Samuel II and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you