Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Under texas law is there an age limit to seal a juvenile sex

Customer Question
offense...
Under texas law is there an age limit to seal a juvenile sex offense
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/2/2012
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Juvenile records may have "restricted access" after age 21, if there have been no other crimes between the age of 17 and 21. As a sex offense, it can be restricted - which means it is not available to the public but only to certain law and court officials.

Customer: hi
Samuel-II :

It also is available to certain employers, such as if you are applying to work with children or similar agencies.

Samuel-II :

Also, if your crime required registration then you will need to Petition the Court for the expungement of the record, but you can only do that once your registration period has expired.

Customer: I have been told by our legal council it can be sealed at age 19 now. Is there a way to expunge this record instead of just sealing it? It was indecency with a child and he completed the 2 years probation and he is not having to register
Samuel-II :

If he wants to have the matter expunged, he can Petition the Juvenile Court, yes.

Samuel-II :

Or you can wait until he is 21 and it is automatically restricted. But if you want to have the matter considered for expungement, then file the Petition with the Court who adjudicated the matter

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law