How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 18. Two weeks ago a friend and I went to a club and had

Resolved Question:

I am 18. Two weeks ago a friend and I went to a club and had two beers (literally). I was in the passenger seat of the car on the way home, sleeping, when my friend was pulled over. I blew an 8.2. I was incarcerated for the night for public intoxication. I don't want this on my record. Is it worth going to court and getting an attorney to expunge it from my record?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You can appear on your own at your court date and see if they will accept a deferment where you perform community service, pay a fine and the charges are dropped. If not, then ask for a jury trial and retain an attorney. You are not guilty of public intoxication but you are guilty of underage drinking. good luck
lwpat and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
The problem is that they could change the charge so you are better off to deal with the PI charge as is.