How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A former friend is accusing me of keeping a bracelet she lent

Resolved Question:

A former friend is accusing me of keeping a bracelet she lent to me which in fact she gave to me {my husband witnessed this}. He male friend is threatening me with prosecution eve though the police and insurance have refused to do any thing with her charges. Is there anything I can do stop the threats? sarah
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer- He cannot force anyone to prosecute you so if the police have refused the case he has no option but to file a civil suit against your for damages or replevin and try to get the court to order the bracelet returned. So you really have no chance of being "prisecuted" for this type of alleged crime since thee simply is any evidence of theft. Whether he can prove the case in civil court would be up to the evidence. Proving a loan without a written document, especially when it was not money, is very difficult to prove. There's not much you can do about his threats to prosecute but if he makes any physical threats you need to contact the police and get an order of protection against him. Once he figures out that he has no legal way of getting the bracelet returned I think the problem will go away.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you