Criminal Law

I was convicted of a sole felony criminal trespass (upon my…

Customer Question
I was convicted of a...
I was convicted of a sole felony criminal trespass (upon my own legally entitled property and established residence of nine years prior) back on March 29, 1990. However, through rumors I'd recently heard, allegedly my criminal records contain five separate felony convictions.... Read full answer
I was convicted of a sole felony criminal trespass (upon my own legally entitled property and established residence of nine years prior) back on March 29, 1990. However, through rumors I'd recently heard, allegedly my criminal records contain five separate felony convictions. Thus, I acquired both my CBI and NCIC reports - and this rumor turns out to be factual. For example, one entry is for a violent felony menacing conviction (1997) by jury trial, and in which I was sentenced to prison for six years. Funny - but I haven't any recollection of that incident. In fact, I was attending graduate school at the University of Colorado at that time. But the henchmen and women of The Evil Totalitarian Empire of Jefferson County, Colorado have a blood-lust for vengeance against me.

In an attempt to rectify these "clerical errors" I petitioned the jurisdictional district court to hold a hearing upon this matter, and to order the removal of all the creative writings. Instead, my motion was denied "for lack of jurisdiction." As the judge explained to me in a letter, the court disposes of jurisdictional authority when a seven year period of inactivity exists. Now, I want to file a Petition for a Writ of Mandamus with the Colorado Court of Appeals to re-establish jurisdiction in the district court. Is this action appropriate?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/14/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Don't waste your time. Somebody with the same name, or somebody who once used your name as an alias got himself convicted of a crime. And you will always have this problem, because while you can potentially expunge your own record , you can't clear somebody else's.

This happens more times than you think and can be particularly pesky when the other person has disappeared and there is a fugitive warrant out for his arrest. At least this person had the foresight to resolve his case.

The way to get around this -- and it's probably less troublesome with an attorney and he can cut corners - would be to go to the prosecutor's office in the county where this other person got his conviction. Explain that this record is not yours, and what you want is a "Not Me" letter. That's an official letter signed by the prosecutor on official letterhead that you are not the person convicted of this crime. Keep it safe and make a copy, as you will likely have to show it now and again throughout your life.

You might call the prosecutor in advance so that they can order the file from archives. But you will have to go there in person when the file is there. Bring proof of your identification -- official photo ID. As this person is not you, his photo and his prints should not match yours. (You will likely have to be printed). On the basis of that, the prosecutor should have no difficulty attesting to the fact that you are not the same person who was convicted of the felony.

If there is more than one case, and this has happened in multiple jurisdictions, you'll have to go to each prosectutor's office separately to repeat the process. But there is no better proof that these charges are not yours than having a letter clearing you of them by the person who handled the prosecution of the real defendant.

Good luck.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a felony conviction in NC and would like to restore
I have a felony conviction in NC and would like to restore my firearm rights. However, I do not live in that state and the form I found is for local state residents. Where can I find a form (similar t… read more
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson
I have a conviction for cds possesion CJIS Code:4 3550 in
I have a conviction for cds possesion CJIS Code:4 3550 in maryland. It states not marijuana. . The problem it was marijuana. It is affecting my gun rights.Attempted to purchase a handgun and received … read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
My husband has an old drug felony of cocaine from 1993 in
My husband has an old drug felony for possession of cocaine from 1993 in Colorado. He completed his probation years ago and has been clean since than. He has a good work history and credit history. We… read more
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady
Assistant Principal,
Stop searching for answers—
I have had my record expunged under the first offenders act
I have had my record expunged under the first offenders act in the state of Arkansas for over 3 years now. I went to buy my son a .22 for his birthday and was denied the purchase due to "being a convi… read more
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
I am an ex -felon that has served all time and probation
Hi I am an ex -felon that has served all time and probation years ago(over 10) . I want to know if I have the right to own a gun?… read more
Attorney,
For CrimDefense or whomever else if unavailable... Hi. This
For CrimDefense or whomever else if unavailable... Hi. This is follow-up to my 4/9 and 4/22 questions. Recently I wrote up a "petition for writ of prohibition" which just two days ago I then filed wit… read more
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru
Attorney at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
colorado law: i got a misdemeanor for shoplifting and class
colorado law: i got a misdemeanor for shoplifting and class d felony for forgery of my first name to a store credit receipt. my probation office said it would be dismissed after 10 years and it has be… read more
joelaws8
joelaws8
I was convicted of a misdemeanor in LA county in 1991. I have
I was convicted of a misdemeanor in LA county in 1991. I have had to LiveScans done for the school district (volunteering) and for a Children's home (volunteering with foster youth) and they said noth… read more
LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1
Attorney,
Hey my name Charles Coker. I was charged with felon possession
Hey my name Charles Coker. I was charged with felon possession of drugs. There were no guns involved and it was 8 years ago Colud I get my gun rights back, just to be able to hunt don't care if I can'… read more
Ive been arrested and charged with a third degree felony,
I've been arrested and charged with a third degree felony, but never convicted. Can I be discriminated against for employment purposes? In other words, can a potential employer use it as a reason not … read more
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
I have a conviction in the State of Colorado from 2004. I
I have a conviction in the State of Colorado from 2004. I received a deferred sentence of 4 years for a felony which was dismissed after that time period and a sentence of five years probation for a m… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
I currently applied for a volunteer position at my local high
I currently applied for a volunteer position at my local high school. My fingerprints from Colorado Bureau of Investigations came back with the following results: resisting arrest (pleaded guilty - re… read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I am having trouble with my paperwork for sealing a record.
I am having trouble with my paperwork for sealing a record. The arrest was in Jefferson County, but the warrant and court were in Denver. Neither Denver nor Jefferson can locate the arrest record or r… read more
dkennedy
dkennedy
Attorney,
My son recieved a posseion of cannabis ticket when he was 16.
My son recieved a posseion of cannabis ticket when he was 16. He completed all of the court ordered community service, went to a class and paid the fine. He is now 18. I am wondering if it will still … read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
I BEEN COVICTED OF A FELONY IN 1994 IN COLRADO SPRING IM I
I BEEN COVICTED OF A FELONY IN 1994 IN COLRADO SPRING IM I CONNETICUT NOW WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET AP PARDON I WANT TO BE COME A POLICE OFFICER I WAS YUNG AND DUM CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH ADVICE TH… read more
David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq.
In 1975 I was convicted of 2nd degree murder, I did all my
In 1975 I was convicted of 2nd degree murder, I did all my time and was release in 1996, after several years out of prison, I was told by my county District Attorney, that I had to register as a sex o… read more
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly
Private Practice Attorney,
When an appellee case has been mandated back to a lower court due to recusal by the press
in 1989 my judge over my jury trial,did not follow the jurys recomindations,and without any prior convictions,sentenced me to 2yrs, imprisonment,2yrs probation,and 1600 in restitution.All was done out… read more
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer
Attorney,
my brother plead guilty to attempted assult. he has a 5th ...
my brother plead guilty to attempted assult. he has a 5th degree felony (i think it 5th....the lowest degree anyway). This happened april 28 2003. can he get this removed from his record? it is keepin… read more