How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made a domestic police report I had a few drinks & didnt

Resolved Question:

I made a domestic police report I had a few drinks & didn't think they are going to go looking for him I don't want to follow thru with this. What can I do????
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


You can contact the court and tell them that you want to drop the charges. Sometimes, the court will allow the charges to be dropped before the court hearing, and others require you to appear and announce in open court that you wish to drop the charges previously made (this is the most common way something like this is handled).


If you are the only witness and alleged victim, and you're wanting to dismiss the charges, the prosecutor and judge should accommodate. Also, as a practical matter, if you are unwilling to testify, the prosecutor cannot put on much proof to support the charges if you're not willing to testify.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has not been arrested... & I don't want him to I want to prevent this situation from going further
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm still waiting on your answer
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Once charges are filed, and a warrant issued, you can't stop the case without a court order. Thus, you would have to file a motion to dismiss the charges to get the judge to address this and enter such an order.
Roger and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you