How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Criminal Trespassing charges issued for trying to cross over

This answer was rated:

Criminal Trespassing charges issued for trying to cross over a track in an off road area getting stuck and having to have help removing the truck. Over $6000 fine issued to the passenger. What would the passenger being looking at and what would the driver be looking at.? He was trespassing but there was no criminal intent. Clean record, young adult.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Under Oregon law, there are several types of trespassing charges. Do you know what degree (first, second, etc.) of criminal trespassing was alleged?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe class A

Ok. Thanks.


Criminal Trespassing in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor. Here's the statute:


ORS § 164.255 Criminal trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass in the first degree if the person:

(a) Enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling;

(b) Having been denied future entry to a building pursuant to a merchant's notice of trespass, reenters the building during hours when the building is open to the public with the intent to commit theft therein;

(c) Enters or remains unlawfully upon railroad yards, tracks, bridges or rights of way; or

(d) Enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises that have been determined to be not fit for use under
ORS 453.855 to 453.912.

(2) Subsection (1)(d) of this section does not apply to the owner of record of the premises if:

(a) The owner notifies the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the premises that the owner intends to enter the premises;

(b) The owner enters or remains on the premises for the purpose of inspecting or decontaminating the premises or lawfully removing items from the premises; and

(c) The owner has not been arrested for, charged with or convicted of a criminal offense that contributed to the determination that the premises are not fit for use.

(3) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor.


The punishment for a Class A misdemeanor is up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $6,250.00.


If the offender has a clean record, jail time is not likely. Instead, it is more likely that the judge will put them on probation for 6-12 months and give them a fine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is he better to plead guilty or not and ask for a trial?

Sorry for the delay.


If he can work out a deal with the prosecutor that keeps him out of jail and a reduced fine, a plea is probably a good idea.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On more question do we do that at the first hearing or ahead of time.

If you hire an attorney, he/she can try to work something out with the prosecutor ahead of time/before the court date. However, if you don't hire an attorney, it is not likely that the prosecutor will speak with you until the court proceeding.


If you don't hire an attorney, you would have to ask the attorney if you can try to work something out after the court calls up your case. The prosecutor will likely ask the judge to pass the case and then give you some time to talk before bringing it before the court.

Roger and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you