How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend living in NC. She received a threat on her

Resolved Question:

I have a friend living in NC. She received a threat on her life. Legal aid in NC has been jerking her around since July on getting her name changed and getting a new SS#. She has been told that it must be a federal request to keep her identity secret. Can I bring her to IN, to live with me and find a lawyer to help her or does the legal work need to be done in NC? Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Why would she have to stay in NC?

Who is making the threats?

Has she called the police?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her ex (possible gangster) made the threats when her relative used her name and SS# XXXXX staying at a battered woman's shelter. A lawyer who works with the shelter found out about the threat and came to get the relative and move her out. My friend found out her relative used her name and told the lawyer. My friend refused to give ex's info to the feds, so no help from them. The shelter lawyer is still trying to help but after 5 months nothing has happened. My friend signed a paper saying she would not use her name and SS# XXXXX needs something to happen so she can get a job and get her life started again. I want to help but I live in IN and she lives in NC. Hence the question, can I have her move in with me and we find an IN lawyer to help her or does she need to stay in NC?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - I see no reason why she would have to stay in NC assuming she is not under any court order to remain there for some reason. She can simply leave and move to IN and start over. I can't tell you that she will be able to change her Social Security Number but a name change is relatively easy and can be done in the local probate court once she arrives. I assume a restraining order against this "gangster" is not going to mean much but if threats are made she should definitely notify the police. To answer your question, based on these facts, I seen no reason for her to stay in NC.


Dave Kennett and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The SS# XXXXX is important as well. She was informed that since it would be a federal request no notice would have to be put in the paper (there are no financial obligations) so the ex wouldn't see the name change request. Thanks for your help. Most likely she will have to have this taken care of where she lives.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Social Security is a Federal agency and would not require that she do this in NC. It can be done in any state so there is simply nothing she has to do in NC. There are Social Security offices in every state and the law is the same everywhere in the US.I can't tell you the process of getting the number changed but if it can be done it can be done regardless of where she is living.

Related Criminal Law Questions