Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

what are rules for Dessureault hearing? When lawyer fails to

what are rules for Dessureault hearing? When lawyer fails to request a Dessureault hearing, defendant is found guilty,appeal is lost, pcr is lost, what next. ? ineffective counsel.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you lost the post conviction and appeal you may have one more shot if you have not already raised the issue of ineffective assistance of counsel, but you are going to need to have evidence in your PCR that had the counsel taken certain actions then you had a likelihood that there would have been a different outcome. After losing an appeal and PCR already that proof is going to be very difficult to produce, but that is your sole remaining option other than a final appeal to the State Supreme Court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you saying that we can request a review of the PCR determination? If so is there a specific form to be used?

You can file an appeal on the PCR to the court of appeals if you can cite errors of law made by the court in the PCR ruling. It would be like appealing any other final judgment.