How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexCrimLawyer, J.D. Your Own Question
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4824
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in the Neal Unit in Amarillo. He got 5 years

Resolved Question:

I have a friend in the Neal Unit in Amarillo. He got 5 years for aggravated assault with bodily 5 years for violating probation from a previous case of assault to a family member. He is very sick with liver disease and he is coming up for parole December 2012. We understand it is very difficult to get parole in this system without a laywer. Also he was an MP in the military and we understand that there was something passed that now considers time spent in the military when sentencing is being done. So he is in need of a lawyer to help with his parole hearing. Are there any lawyers in San Antonio or Amarillo that will do pro bono work as he has no way to pay an attorney?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 5 years ago.
In all honesty, most inmates do not have lawyers assist them in parole hearings. However, if you want to look for a pro bono lawyer, you can start here:
He needs to put together a parole packet. Think of the parole packet as a marketing presentation. Your friend is selling to the board that he will not re-offend or violate his parole. As much as a lawyer or you can help with the parole packet it really needs to be the offenders work and words telling the board he has changed while incarcerated and documenting how. Include certificates earned while incarcerated or during any previous probationary periods, support letters, any job offers received. Also include letters of support or any treatment he's received while incarcerated. Also, since he has a medical condition, he should include information about that. The parole board ultimately wants to know that he won't reoffend, and has some kind of support system when he leaves (i.e. a place to stay, som way to make ends meet, etc.)

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. if so, please click the ACCEPT button. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When does the packet need to be done by? And there is nothing he can do about the fact that now a person's military service is looked at when sentencing? Should he include his military service in the packet?


If he got a lawyer would the lawyer be with him at the speak at the hearing...or would it only be to help fill out the packet?

Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 5 years ago.
He should include his military service packet. The fact that the judge can now consider military service is not retroactive, that is, it applies from when it was enacted going forward, but does not apply to everyone before the change. The packet needs to be done a couple of weeks before his hearing.
If he hired a lawyer, the lawyer would do whatever he paid him to. In other words, if he hired one to just fill out the packet, they would do that, or if he hired one to come to the hearing also. It all depends on what you want.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you