Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

i got charged for dwi 3rd offense a felony my last dwi offense

Customer Question
was nov of 2010 and...
i got charged for dwi 3rd offense a felony my last dwi offense was nov of 2010 and one in 1990 and another in 1991 . isn't there a law where they can only go back 7 or 10 years which would make the dwi offense in nov of2010 a 1st offense. i got 5 years probation with 4 remaindingto do. can you help this happened in harris county
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Unfortunately, there is no such time limitation for charging this as a felony offense. The following language is from section 49.09:

(b) A DWI offense is a felony of the third degree if it is shown on the trial of the offense that the person has previously been convicted:

(2) two times of any other offense relating to a DWI.

As you can see, the statute does not provide any time limitations to charge a felony offense. As such, your prior offenses can be used against you to charge this offense as a felony.

I regret that my answer is unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response.

Please let me know if anything needs clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

joseph is there anything that can be done with 19 years between 2nd and 3rd dwi i work in houston refiniers. when they do a back ground check the felony appear and i get denied access in the plant so i can't work.i was told it would even get harder after jan 1,2012. can you help.

With the '90 and '91 offenses being so old, the prosecutor may work with you on reducing this charge so that it will not be a felony. You haven't mentioned any of the facts as of yet, hopefully some of them weigh in your favor. For example:

• The traffic stop may have been for something minor such as speeding
  • Perhaps the officer did not notice a strong odor of alcohol or bloodshot eyes
  • You either refused the sobriety exercises or performed them well
  • You either refused any breath test or had a low result

Any such things could be used by a competent criminal defense attorney to your benefit. If the facts weigh sufficiently in your favor, a reduction in the charge would be a possibility.

Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer