How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sue an Internet social site called urban chat. My

Resolved Question:

I want to sue an Internet social site called urban chat. My 13 y/0 son has been
inappropriately interacting on the site with other men. My issue is once I was aware of this situation and saw the graphic, inappropriate pictures my son was sending per request of men whom you can clearly see are quite older than him. My child just turned 13, 2 weeks ago and is very impressionable and you can clearly see that he is a minor. If he was untruthful about his age with creating a profile, then accountability needs to held. His communication on this site was via cell phone I provided for him so we can communicate when needed. I asked him what was he thinking and his response was it was a joke?!! Asked of him by one of the fellow online chatters (adult). This site needs to be a little more conscious of this type of situation that has the potential to go sour. I reside in NC. What is the child pornography law?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

I would like to make sure that I know what information you want so that I can ensure that my response addresses the issues you're wondering about.

What exactly do you want to know?
Were you wondering whether or not a website can be civilly liable for the conduct of its users?
Were you wondering whether or not someone can be charged with a crime?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I want to know do I have grounds for a civil suit against the website, and with
Investigation press charges of those who showed their face involved. Thank you.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
In some limited circumstances, a website may be liable for the conduct of its users. However, in most instances, a website will not be liable for things posted on a site or to actively seek to verify the ages of users. As you might imagine, this would put a very heavy burden on websites and it could actually make it difficult or impossible to operate the sites. Considering the scope of many major user-driven sites, you can imagine how costly and difficult such a burden could prove.
Generally, the burden of making sure a child isn't engaging in inappropriate activity online falls on the parents. However, again, it's worth emphasizing that the nature of a website can alter that responsibility and a case could potentially be made against a website that has permitted a child to engage in conduct that the child should not be involved in on the site. This is especially true when the child's age should be apparent, could readily be evaluated, has been reported previously, etc.

If criminal conduct takes place on a website, such as improper communications or conduct with a minor, the parties to that conduct can be charged with a crime. If an individual wishes to see criminal charges pursued, he/she can report the matter to law enforcement. With a website, reporting the matter to federal officials (such as the IC3: can be a good bet, as internet crime is generally the domain of both state and federal authorities. For this purpose, a victim does not need to retain an attorney. Instead, the government handles the prosecution and the investigatory side of the matter.

Please let me know if you need any clarification!

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
AttorneyTom and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you