How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Three years ago I had a protective order against my abusive

This answer was rated:

Three years ago I had a protective order against my abusive ex fiance. He then retaliated got one against me. He then convinced me to work things out and to drop mine, so I did..He kept his however. Three years later, last month for the first time in years..he showed up at my doorstep uninvited, unannounced, I however invited him in to talk. over the next few weeks I saw signs of his mental illness, asked him to stop texting and calling me etc... ended up calling the police and getting a temp protective order. am I also in violation of this order as I opened the door to him and spent time with him?
Typically a protective order prohibits the party against whom it applies (you in this instance) from initiating contact with the plaintiff (your ex-husband). If this is the language in the protective order your ex-husband has against you, it is not a violation because you did not initiate the contact.

Additionally, even if the language in his protective order varied from the norm, it is highly unlikely that you would be prosecuted for acquiescing to his contact with you. Your allowing that contact may, however, lessen the chances that the judge will grant you a permanent protective order at the hearing.

You will have to explain to the judge why you allowed that to happen and what has happened since that caused you to seek the new order. Best of luck to you.
Legal-Guru and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you