How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27049
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when i was 18 years old , i pled guilty to sexual assalt ,

Customer Question

when i was 18 years old , i pled guilty to sexual assalt , i was also sentenced to only register for 10 years , then recently i received a letter saing i have to register for life is there any thing i can do please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

This sounds like but what to registrants all over the country after The Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (“SORNA” or “the Act”), which is title I of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act went into effect in 2006. If your sentence and/or your registration was still ongoing. The Federal law set minimum national standards, and the changes affected all those charged with sex offenses whose sentences or registration requirments were still running. The Constitutionality of this extension worked its way on up to the Supreme Court level, and the retroactive application of SORNA has been upheld.

So they can do this. Obviously, there may be some people with peculiar situations who have a different kind of situation and who should not have to register. This area of law can get quite complicated. But no matter why this happened to you, what you would have to do would be to get a post-conviction lawyer to look the whole record of your case history over for you, and see if the lifetime registration is a mistake.

Related Criminal Law Questions