Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Hello, I am a college student and was recently charged with

Customer Question
Hello, I am a college student...
I am a college student and was recently charged with a misdemeanor charge for possession of a fake id. I have never had as much as a parking ticket in my life and am now wondering the effect that this misdemeanor will have on my future graduate school applications? Also, can you tell me what the general punishments are for this type of misdemeanor. On my ticket is says that it is not up for dismissal and there is also no courtesy bail. Will this go on my record as a criminal charge? And will I have to write it down as a felony on any job application? Any information that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your questions. Please allow me to answer them in the order that they were presented:

1. "I have never had as much as a parking ticket in my life and am now wondering the effect that this misdemeanor will have on my future graduate school applications?"

A. It certainly will not help, but this is not something that is likely to derail your entire life. It is a wobbler, which means that it can be charged as a felony or a misdemeanor. If you used this to attempt access to a government military stockpile or a nuclear lab, you are going to get charged as a felon. Let me assume, however, that you used this to get into a bar; in that case, it would almost certainly be charged as a misdemeanor, and that means it is not an especially serious charge.

2. " Also, can you tell me what the general punishments are for this type of misdemeanor."

A. If charged as a felony, it could result in a maximum punishment of imprisonment in a state prison. Again, this is a maximum punishment for a worst-case scenario "you really deserve it" situation. If this is the college kid trying to buy beer, the likely punishment is a fine no more than $1,000 and unsupervised probation for a year or two. Unsupervised probation means that you have to follow certain rules (like not breaking any other laws) during probation, but do not have to report to a probation officer unless you violate probation.

3. " On my ticket is says that it is not up for dismissal and there is also no courtesy bail. Will this go on my record as a criminal charge?"

A. Yes. If it makes you feel any better, approximately 1/3 of the U.S. adult population has at least a misdemeanor on their record.

4. " And will I have to write it down as a felony on any job application? "

A. Only if it is a felony conviction. They would typically charge it as a misdemeanor for the aforementioned reasons.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law