Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

The ex-boyfriend of a girl that I date without permission accessed

Customer Question

The ex-boyfriend of a girl that I date without permission accessed her yahoo account and printed out chat logs between the two of us that contain personal information, he now insists that he will use these logs to "drag me through the mud". Is this legal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 5 years ago.

Attorney 1 :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I am preparing your response. Please remain online for a few moments, so you can get your answer right away.

Attorney 1 :

This is illegal computer hacking. Additionally, the girl you date can sue this person for invasion of privacy and for harassment. If this person publicizes private chat messages in which you were involved, without your permission and without the girl's permission, you have a right to sue for "public disclosure of private facts" if the information contained in the text messages is not known to others, and is indeed private.

Attorney 1 :

Best of luck!

If you need more information, just let me know and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________________________________________________

If I have answered your question, please remember to click “ACCEPT.”

Clicking the green “ACCEPT” button will not cause you to incur any additional expense, and it is the only way that an expert gets paid for providing assistance, even if you have made a deposit or have a monthly subscription.

I leave Positive feedback for all accepted answers.

Positive feedback helps customers get quick responses to future questions.

If you would like to request my assistance for future questions, please begin the question with "FOR ATTORNEY 1".

____________________________________________________________________

This communication contains general information, only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice. Information provided herein is not intended to replace a detailed legal consultation, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My apologies for the delay. I was more interested in knowing if there was a way to force someone to provide documents - in this case private chat logs - that they are using as the basis for a false claim about you; even if the claim, to this point, is only being made in a small circle.
The way to require production of documents is by filiing a lawsuit. Once filed, you can either serve a Request for Production of Documents if the logs are in possession of a party to the action, or you can subpoena them if they are in the possession of a third party. Until a lawsuit is filed, there is no way to compel the turnover of documents.

If you need more information, I will be happy to continue to assist you.