How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece is married to a policeman who has just had her arrested

Resolved Question:

My niece is married to a policeman who has just had her arrested on a 302. what are her rights
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of this situation.

You may read about the Involuntary Committment here.

Upon intake your niece should be advised that she has a right to speak to an Ombudsman or Advocate to help on her behalf. You also may consult with a local attorney who can make sure that she is not kept there without a court order for longer than the initial 120 hours.

You need to be cautious because if upon intake a nurse marks that she is suicidal they can get a court order to keep her there longer.

You can read the rights under section (j) in the provided link

This is not something you want to leave to chance. I suggest you consult with a local attorney to check on her as soon as you can.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Samuel II and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you