How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

16 years ago i stole $1500.00 from my employer. icouldnt stand

Customer Question

16 years ago i stole $1500.00 from my employer. icouldnt stand the guilt so i told what i had done. i was arrested and was put on one year probation also i paid back all of the money and court costs. how long will this stupid mistake haunt me ? and is there anything i can do to get this off my record ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I am working on an answer to your question now. Please be patient and I will post the answer as soon as possible. This may take a little time, as it may require some research and it takes some time to type up a response.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no additional information
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, Texas will generally only expunge nonconviction data, such as charges that dropped, disposed of with deferred prosecution and dismissal, the person is acquitted. This means that convictions cannot typically be expunged.

However, if a pardon is granted, an individual then becomes eligible for expungement. An individual may apply for a pardon with the Board of Pardons and Paroles, found at the link below.

Unfortunately, absent that, an individual's record is permanent. There's a good article, written by a TX attorney, about finding a job after a criminal conviction at the link below. You may find it an interesting read. Further, some states, such as NY and CA, actually prevent most discrimination based on criminal history or limit the time that an employer can look back at an individual's record to a specific number of years. It's not possible to provide an exhaustive list. However, that knowledge provides options that an individual with a criminal record can consider with regard to location and job hunting.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!