Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What kind of time is my fiancee looking at

Customer Question
My boyfriend allegedly committed five...
My boyfriend allegedly committed five second degree armed robberies...One in Hayward CA and four in Oakland...He has priors for selling narcotics...He's been off parole/probation for six years...What do  his charges mean 

PC 211-2 + F  
PC 211-2 A F 
and how much time could he be looking at? Could they run it concurrent so more charges so he be facing another trial?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Under the California 3 strikes law, your boyfriend is likely to be facing life in prison without parole.

I would suggest that he consults and retain with extremely experienced and competent local criminal defense attorney who can provide him with proper legal representation during your boyfriend's criminal trials, as if he is convicted he would more than likely be facing life in prison.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
What if he has no strikes?
the public defender he has with a court appointed attorney said the max he's looking at is 14 years...his friend is looking at 28.
Is this in case he is convicted of all these robberies??
Well I guess that was for one...Isn't it the same bc it can run concurrent? He has no strikes...since he's been in jail waiting for trial they have brought up four more...
In California, first and second strikes are counted by individual charges, rather than individual cases, so a defendant may have been charged and convicted of "first and second strikes", potentially many more than two such strikes, arising from a single case, even one that was disposed of prior to the passage of the law.

Convictions from all 50 states and the federal courts at any point in the defendant's past, as well as juvenile offenses if the defendant was age 16 or older that would otherwise be sealed can be counted (although once a juvenile record is sealed, it cannot be "unsealed"; it does not exist any longer and there is no longer any record to be used as a prior conviction), regardless of the date of offense or conviction or whether the conviction was the result of a plea bargain.

It is up to the prosecutor's discretion how many charges to levy against a defendant for a single criminal event

So if the total number of felony charges for which your boyfriend is convicted or pleads guilty two, including previous felony convictions, equals to 3 or more, he would be potentially facing life in prison, so I would strongly suggest that he does obtain experienced and competent local defense attorney to look into the additional charges and consequences that conviction to these charges might bring.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have provided you with an accurate and an elaborate answer, which I do understand might not be what you were hoping for, but the law is the law, and I can only explain to you what it is, but I am unable to change it or make any adjustments to it.

I am actually a JustAnswer.com criminal law mentor and also another very experienced expert agrees with my answer.

Your boyfriend according to the facts that you have stated and current California law, might be facing life in prison and that is why it is extremely important for him to have competent local criminal defense attorney to provide him with all the legal representation that he will need fighting this uphill battle on several major violent felony charges.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up question or if you need for me to further clarify my answer.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Once again I have provided you with an elaborate and accurate detailed answer and two other experienced criminal law experts, including one who is licensed to practice law in California, have agreed with my answer.

May be you are confused due to the fact that you boyfriend might have been told that he is looking at 14 years by his public defender, but this must have been before addition violent felony charges were brought against your boyfriend.

I wish I could provide you with a more favorable answer, but unfortunately someone in your boyfriend's situation would be facing mandatory life in prison under the California three strikes law.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and good luck to you and your boyfriend.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law