Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am a 2 strike offender recently arrested on multiple counts

Customer Question
of ID theft, Forgery...
I am a 2 strike offender recently arrested on multiple counts of ID theft, Forgery, and fraud. On arraignment day, the Judge had revoked my $25,000 bail and issued No bail because I was being tried as a 3rd strike offender. I want to know what is the statute of limitations for my new charges(fraud, forgery, id theft, all under $1000) how long do they have for a conviction? and does the 3 strike rule extenuate that time? Just for clarification I did not reenter the court room that day and am asking how many more days/years before or if these charges are no longer applicable?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Once you are arrested, the statute of limitations stops running. You can invoke your right to a speedy trial pursuant to the Sixth Amendment and if you do they have to get you to trial within 180 days of when you invoke those rights, but there are some exceptions for which they can get extensions.

Additionally, once a warrant is issued, all statutes of limitations stop running until you are arrested. The charges will not go away, they will remain until you are arrested.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer