Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Harassment (subjecting a person to physical contact)- If you

Customer Question
are arrested with this charge...
Harassment (subjecting a person to physical contact)- If you are arrested with this charge would you advise this person to get a lawyer? This case will be with the arresting officer and the person. not the victim. This will be held at a DMJ office. First time offense. And what can this charge do to your future?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Was the person charged with a misdemeanor harassment?
He was charged as of yet we have a district mat. hearing in 3 weeks . The cop is going to press charges.
The penalty for harassment is up to a year in jail. The statute reads as follows:

2709. Harassment

(a) OFFENSE DEFINED.-- A person commits the crime of harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another, the person:

(1) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same

I would strongly suggest that you consult and retain local criminal defense attorney, as this is a serious 3rd degree misdemeanor charge and you do need a competent criminal defense attorney to protect your legal rights in court.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!

So what can this charge do to someones future? And is all that possible for a first time offense?
If a person is convicted of this type of misdemeanor offense, it would show up on his/her record and might prevent this person from obtaining employment, especially government employment and also employment that requires security clearance, employment in law enforcement, etc...

Generally if the first time offender is represented with a skilled experienced local criminal defense attorney, a plea "deal" which might include defendant pleading to a reduced charge, one year probation and deferred adjudication, which would mean if defendant completes his/her probation and stays out of trouble during the 12 months probation, there would be no conviction of the crime.

I would suggest for the defendant to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney who can help resolve this criminal charge with as little consequences as possible.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law