How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that I had 3 returned checks from 10 years

Resolved Question:

I just found out that I had 3 returned checks from 10 years
I just found out that I had 3 returned checks from 10 years ago. These where written in good faith at a grocery store while on vacation a few hundred miles from home with my family. My drivers license is about to expire and I can not renew it due to this...
I have done alot of online reading and is it possible to file a motion to dismiss.. as I NEVER received notice from that court and it was so long ago.
OR try to get the amount reduced, a payment plan and immediate release of the hold on my license renewal?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

The fact that it was 10 years ago makes no difference because the charges were filed before the expiration of the statute of limitations.

I suggest you contact the clerk of the court and see how much is owed. Then you will need to contact the District Attorney and request they contact the store owner to see what they will accept as full payment or how you may proceed with a payment plan.

Once the DA has accepted an offer, they can file a Motion to Dismiss so your license can be renewed. Only the District Attorney can make those arrangements or decision as to whether to continue to hold onto the charges.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck
Samuel II and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you