How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my question deals with a nuisance exhusband of my girlfriend.

Resolved Question:

Hi my question deals with a nuisance exhusband of my girlfriend. This particular person has called my phone in a threatening manner once last year. Then he taunted me and my girlfriend another time at a hotel with the idea that he would show up to cause ruckus. Sat night we were celebrating her sisters bday, at a club he approached our group. He definitely had an aggressive nature. I would like to know my options legally. I know if we fight I may be jailed even sued. Is this an opportunity for a restraining order ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

A petitioner can obtain an order for protection against the respondent for stalking, menacing, harassment, aggravated harassment, assault, attempted assault, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. You would need to have evidence to support the actions of the ex husband and it would then be up to the court to decide if his actions amount to the need to impose one. It can be obtained through the family or criminal courts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So a close call isn t enough. An altercation needs to happen, then documented. Now with that I have reason to present my case to the court. Can I call the police and file a case even if he flees the scene ? Or does he need to remain on site to issue a statement.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.
If something happens, you can contact the police and ask that they come immediately. They will take a report so you have documentation of what occurred. Moreover, any witnesses can also give statements, to support your complaint. Thank you and good luck. If you have no other questions, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.
CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you