How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a Federal officer goto a District court judge and get a

Resolved Question:

Can a Federal officer goto a District court judge and get a search warrant affidavit signed for a residence in a different county of that judges juridiction
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: was the warrant signed by a federal judge or a state district court judge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A state district court judge
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

In People v Fiorillo, 195 Mich App 701; 491 NW2d 281 (1992), the Michigan Court of Appeals said “. . . the statutes conferring jurisdiction on the district court are not territorially limited. Likewise, the statute governing the issuance of search warrants does not limit the authority of the warrants territorially. (MCL 780.651) No constitutional or statutory limits exist which prevent the district court from issuing search warrants to be executed outside the county of issuance.

For that reason, yes, a district court judge can sign a search warrant to be executed anywhere in the State of Michigan.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
JB Umphrey and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions